UC Davis Today: Students helping students
Students helping students
Starting this weekend, We Are Aggie Pride, a student-run group that raises money to provide emergency funding for fellow Aggie students in need, is hosting a week of events to encourage other students to give back to their fellow Aggies.
“We Are Aggie Pride helps students get through those financial emergencies and stay in school, when they may not have that kind of support in other areas of their lives,” said Christine Kim, UC Davis senior and We Are Aggie Pride co-director.
Events and activities are free to all participants, excluding athletic game tickets, and include:
• Saturday, Feb. 23, basketball doubleheader: men’s team vs. Northern Colorado, 1:30 p.m., and women’s team vs. Cal State Fullerton, 4 p.m., The Pavilion at the ARC.
• Feb. 25-March 1, all day: We Are Aggie Pride “Change Challenge,” promoting freshman giving in all three dining commons
• Monday, Feb. 25, 9-10:30 a.m.: “Doughnuts and Donations,” Haring Hall lawn
• Tuesday, Feb. 26, noon: “Tiny Tacos, Mucho Impacto,” Silo patio
• Wednesday, Feb. 27, noon-1 p.m.: “Get It, Got It, Give It” scavenger hunt, Quad
• Thursday, Feb. 28:
- All day “Swipes for Students” at UC Davis Bookstore
- Noon-1 p.m.—“Cupcakes on the Quad” with the Cal Aggie Marching Band-uh
- 7:30 p.m.- 9:30 p.m. Space Jam Movie Night at Rock Hall
Founded in 2011 by UC Davis students, We Are Aggie Pride is the first student-run organization on the West Coast to award emergency funding to their peers. To date, the group has raised more than $58,000 in donations and sponsorships, thanks in part to the generous support of UC Davis West Village — the largest planned zero net energy community in the United States.
So far the group has awarded more than $18,500 to needy students who applied for assistance from the program in its first year. All monies awarded are based on need, and donations have come from the campus and the greater UC Davis community, including students, alumni, faculty and staff.
We Are Aggie Pride is part of The Campaign for UC Davis — the university’s first comprehensive fundraising campaign that seeks to raise $1 billion from 100,000 donors by 2014.
UC Davis students (from left) Chelsea Dass, Christine Kim, Nav Chima, Rylan Schaeffer, Channie Phantharath, Tara Strom, Asha Fereydouni, and Amanda Hardy are part of We Are Aggie Pride. Gregory Urquiaga/UC Davis photo